Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Who Piddled in the World’s Cheerios?

Why is everyone so surly? Why does it seem that everyone is having a perpetual bad day? Why does it seem as if everyone I come in contact with on a daily basis had had their cheerios piddled in?

I have a 20 minute commute to work through the streets and main roads of suburbia USA. I do not have to drive on highways on my way to work. There are lots of trees and lots of flowers and usually not too many people overly stressed and under caffeinated. That is until this morning. I was flipped off, given the bird, given the finger, shown the middle finger salute, etc. twice (that’s 2 times) on my 20 minute drive to work.

Now, I would understand this behavior had I just cut someone off, had I run a red light, had I run over someone’s dog or child or husband, etc. But both times today I was being NICE to the other person.

For example, instance number 1. I was sitting in stopped traffic in front of a convenience store. There was a car waiting to exit the parking lot. As traffic in front of move began to move I stayed stopped and waved to the driver in the parking lot that she could go. She inched ever so slowly toward the street and then stopped and shook her head. I could see that there were no other cars coming so I waved her on again. She mouthed “I can’t go, I can’t see” to which I mouthed “I can, you’re ok” meaning I can see in the other direction and there are no others cars. I then smiled which has apparently taken on some other meaning in today’s society which roughly translates to “you’re a big doo doo head and I hate you.” She throws up her hand in exasperation (I don’t exactly know what was so exasperating) grips the steering wheels until her knuckles turned white, stomped on the gas peddle and sped off while GIVING ME THE FINGER!!!

Uh… sweetheart… what exactly did I do, other than be nice and try to help you that was worthy of that particular gesture?

The second time was, really, even more precious. There was a mother (or maybe a young grandmother) walking with a little boy (maybe 3 or 4). The little boy was skipping and prancing, it was cute. I looked out the window, and smiled at the mother, grandmother. She kept walking by, not really a big deal and then gave me the finger behind her back so that the little boy wouldn’t see. HUH?

Did I forget to have my fangs filed down? If there something so off putting about my smile or my attempt to connect with other people and make the world a little more pleasant that is making these people lash out? What is going on with the world?

1 comment:

Crazy Daze said...

:) Was it extra hot out? Maybe everyone wanted to be on vacation or something. I have been extra grumpy lately, no finger giving though!! As long as you don't let it ruin your mood let them be grumpy!

P.S I'm tagging you as a Rockin' girl blogger. Great blog!