Here is the result of my first attempt at sewing on a stretch fabric. As I mentioned in an earlier post I didn't find it difficult or scary at all. I al pleased with the shirt, although the next time I will make the ruffle and the neck fuller and rufflier.
I haven't been sewing as much as I would have liked to be, but any time I can get in is better than nothing. I was able to finish my pajama pants and will post a pic in the near future.
Last night I started what I thought was going to be a challenging project... sewing on jersey. I have NEVER sewn on a stretch fabric before, I was afraid to, because, you know, it is so much different than sewing on a woven fabric... expect I was completely wrong.
It is not more difficult to sew on... it was exactly the same. Ok, I had to change the needle in the machine, and use a few more pins, but that was about it. Really the only thing you have to remember when sewing on a stretch fabric (so I have been told) is NOT TO STRETCH IT. I didn't stretch it and everything is going fine.
I started off simple for my first project, a T shirt with a ruffle around the scoop neck.
I saw this shirt in the Boden catalog and thought it was really cute, but not for $34.
I found a pattern, some jersey on the clearance rack at Joannes and set to work last night. In 1.5 hours I was able to construct the body and the sleeves. Tonight I will attach the sleeves to the body, add the ruffle and hem it and my shirt will be complete.