Friday, July 27, 2007

Making Vanilla Extract


Under normal circumstances I am an avid baker. Now that I am pregnant I seem to have lost some of my baking zeal, although I did make a wicked good batch of butterscotch blondies the other day.

Baking is a great way to keep your food costs down. Plus you as the baker have complete control over what you put in the food you make. There are a few ingredients that I use all the time that are fairly costly, nuts, chocolate, and vanilla extract.

I have been keeping my baking costs down by buying both chocolate and nuts in bulk and by making my own vanilla extract. It is really easy to do and the results are fabulous.

First you will need a clean glass bottle (I reused a mini champagne bottle, 6-8 oz is a good size). I washed mine in the dishwasher to make sure it was good and clean.

Then you need vanilla beans. I get mine at Trader Joes. They are 2 beans for $5.00 (when buying vanilla beans make sure that they don't rattle in the bottle. If they rattle they are old and dried out)

Lay the beans on a cutting board and with a sharp paring knife slit open one side of the bean (try not to cut all the way though)

Put the beans in the clean bottle. Cover with Vodka or any other clear liquor.

Let it sit for 2 weeks before using. Shake before using, the vanilla seeds settle to the bottom.

After every use, be sure to refill the bottle with vodka, that way the vanilla keeps fermenting and your extract lasts for a good long time.

1 comment:

jonathan said...

So how much does the Vodka cost?

I wouldn't use any other alcohol, as it will taint the flavor.