Thursday, July 26, 2007

First Trip to Aldi

I have been on vacation the last couple of days. It was nice to be home and not at work, but it was not nice to be without Internet access.

Yesterday, my mom and I made a trip to Aldi. She had been to one store in the past, and I had never been, so we were looking forward to this adventure. We really went just to scope things out and see if all of the things that Amy (Motherload) and Meredith (Like Merchant Ships) said about Aldi were true.

Both mom and I were pleasantly surprised. The store was very clean and well organized. No frills to be sure, but who really cares about that anyway. The prices were PHENOMENAL!!! As I haven't tried any of the items I bought I can't attest to the quality just yet, but I will let you know what I think when I open something.

For $9.80 I got

2 dozen large eggs -- 2 x 1.24
2 cans tropical fruit salad -- 2 x .69
1 can mushroom stems and pieces -- .45
1 bag (6) cinnamon raisin bagels -- .99
1 can refrigerated cinnamon rolls (soo bad for you yet so good!) -- 1.89
1 Pineapple -- 1.89
1 bunch of Dole bananas -- .72

I am doing my regular marketing on Sunday and will calculate how much this would cost me there.

I don't know that I will completely make the switch to Aldi, but I will certainly split my marketing between my regular store and Aldi.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

For the most part, I really like Aldi. Sometimes here at our Aldi, the produce isn't so great, but sometimes it is fine. For the most part, we've liked everything we've tried and it doesn't really taste like those awful off-brands from when we were kids. The money I save there is worth the little bit of drive - I should convince myself of that. LOL

Meredith said...

I go half and half with Aldi. Ours is extremely crowded with immigrants and often has bruised produce, while the one in my mom's town is super nice.

Just remember, Aldi offers a double guarantee--if you're not happy with an item, bring it back and they will refund your money plus refund the item.