Monday, April 30, 2007

Italian Market Shopping...

So my mom and I took a guided tour of Philadelphia's Italian Market this weekend which was amazing! The market... the tour was ok, but it did allow us to go "behind the scenes" in lots of establishments, which was cool.

What I liked the best, aside from seeing all the people, were the bargains! we got...

  • 3 bunches of asparagus for $1
  • 3 pounds of fresh spinach (still sandy) for $1
  • 10 pounds of fresh ground beef for $15.99

We saw other bargains that we didn't buy but will remember like 2 containers of raspberries for $1, free range veal for $5.59 a pound, whole fish for $3.99 a pound, and blue crabs $25 a dozen.

It was sensory overload. We also came home with some things that we not bargains but worth the price. I got come homemade cured hot sausage for my hubby, homemade Italian pastries, a waxed ball of provolone, decaf apricot loose leaf tea, and there was probably more which I can't think of at this moment.

As a bonus, I got to meet one of the people running for mayor of Philadelphia. I don't live there, so I can't vote for him, but it was fun nonetheless.

I did not get around to making the Homemade Bagels, but do plan on trying tonight.

I think I will also be making this Vegetable Stirfry from Ari at Baking & Books tonight to go with my roasted chicken.

I promise to take pics and post them tomorrow.

Also... I am happy to announce that I am officially finished with classwork for the semester. I get 3 weeks off before my summer class starts... but that will be my last class and I will have my second Master's Degree! YEAH!

No comments: