Thursday, April 12, 2007

Commentary... My $.02

I don't usually use my blog as a place for political commentary or anything like that, but I can't not say anything any longer.

I have never been, nor currently are, a fan of Don Imus.

I think that his comment about the Rutger's Women's Basketball Team was stupid and obviously not well thought out... BUT...

There is no law against saying stupid things or saying things that are not well thought out... even in a public forum.

In fact... we have a little thing called the First Amendment to the Constitution of the United States which reads,

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

Has everyone forgotten about this??? There is no law against offending people... as citizen in a civil society we all try really hard to say things that don't offend people (most of the time anyway), but ultimately, at the end of the day, we have the right to say what we want, or even to say something stupid that offends someone.

The man has lost his job... and, my God, has he said a lot of stupid things on his show, but this is America people, we all have the right to say stupid things... just like we have the right to say smart things that don't offend someone... we have to take with good with the bad and the offensive with the inoffensive...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi ~ I'm here from a link on Like Merchant Ships and I've enjoyed reading your entries :) This one spoke to me because...I totally agree with you! I certainly don't condone what Mr. Imus said but if "we" start firing everyone that says something that offends someone else...well, no one would have a job, would they? Just thought I'd throw my .02 worth in with yours :)