Sunday, September 23, 2007

My New Baking Obsession


I have always loved to bake, moreso even than to cook. I have started reading many food blogs and one of my personal favs is The Perfect Pantry. A little while back The Perfect Pantry featured White Whole Wheat Flour and I was intrigued.

I stopped at the market on my way home from work on Friday and picked up a five pound bag. I needed to actually bake with myself to see if it was any good. I decided to make my tried and true challah with the White Whole Wheat Flour that way if I didn't like the results I would know that it was the flour and not the recipe. Anyway... I LOVE IT! It is lighter in color than regular wheat flour but has all the goodies and nutrition (12 grams of fiber per cup!) of regular whole wheat flour with the resulting taste of white flour. In fact, after making the challah yesterday, I made pancakes this morning for breakfast.

Now, don't get me wrong, I am and always have been a whole wheat girl. But there are times when you want the decadence of something made white white flour. This is the perfect compromise. As far as I know King Authur Flour is the ony company producing this but I could be wrong and if I am please correct me. If your local supermarketdoesn't sell it, you can order it direct from King Authur here: http://www.kingarthurflour.com/shop/detail.jsp?select=C74&byCategory=C90&id=3311.

Enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad to see this review. I've been a fan of King Arthur products for some time, but have been hesitant to try the White Whole Wheat. We have been a white flour family for a long time, but my quest to change to healthier cooking/baking isn't always greeted with open arms. This may be the perfect compromise. Thanks!

Amy said...

Thank you for reviewing this and sharing your opinions on this. I was intrigued and didn't even know that this was offered yet in the stores! I am going to look for this the next time I am loading up on baking supplies!

Molly said...

Glad I could help. I am TRULY enamored with this flour!

Molly said...

My hubby actually used it last night to make a tomato pie (think pizza without cheese) and he really liked it. And he is not a fan of whole wheat baking!

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Molly, I'm so glad you've fallen in love with the KAF white whole wheat. I love it, too!