Thursday, September 13, 2007

Doggone Mess!

Before we left for vacation, our big dog, Beo, started acting out. It was his way, I suppose of telling us he wasn't pleased that we were leaving him home. Anyway, he started acting out by pooping in the house.

This is so out of character for this dog that I took him to the vet thinking that maybe he was sick. Turns out he was just being bratty.

Anyway... I had to figure out a fool proof way of getting these stains out of our tan carpeting and the smell out of the house. I have, I think, tried every carpet cleaner that they sell.

Spot shot-- works well on small stains, too chemically for me to use while pregnant.
Woolite OxyPOD -- Didn't really do diddly.
Resolve -- works well, but too chemically again.

The list goes on and on.

Then I thought.... simplify Molly... and I did... and it worked.

My recipe for getting pet stains and odors out of carpeting:

Mix @ 2 cups of the hottest tap water your kitchen will produce with 1 tsp. of dish soap and 1/2 cup -3/4 cup white vinegar.

Dip scrub brush in the sudsy mixture and scrub the carpet stain. Keep dipping and scrubbing until it appears the stain is gone. The carpet will be sudsy.

Get another container of clear water and a clean towel. Soak the towel in the clean water and ring out. Blot the carpet until all of the suds are removed. Dip in water and ring out periodically.

Let the carpet dry.

Once the carpet is dry sprinkle with baking soda. Let baking soda sit for 10-15 minutes. Vacuum carpet.

Not only does it work, it is cheap! Can't beat that.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Our dogs do the same thing, so don't feel like you got the one strange one.

And Molly's recipe is one I've used for years too, it really does amazing, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't the title read:

Doggone Mess -> Dogmess Gone

Molly said...

Anonymous, that's funny!

Grace, I am glad Beo isn;t the only one who acts out like this. I was really worried that I would have a huge problem on my hands but now that we are back he seems to be fine. I am constantly amazed at the things vinegar, baking soda, and elbow grease can do. My mom was telling me she saw the same/similar recipe used to "How Clean is your House?" on BBC America. If Aggie and Kim are recommending it, it must be good.