Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Summer fun

So here we are in the second week of August and I started thinking about all the things I said I would get done this summer. For example,

  • Pick strawberries and make jam
  • Clean out the Linen Closet
  • Hang ALL of my laundry outside
  • Plant Herbs
  • Walk the dogs
  • Cross Stitch
So, how many of the above things have I actually accomplished this summer... zero.

Am I upset about that? Not really. I did get some cross stitch finished when I was on bed rest, I don;t really need 40 jars of strawberry jam, the laundry got finished even if it was hung on the drying rack inside, I always kill the herbs, so why bother planting them, the dogs get plenty of exercise chasing tennis balls (bunnies, lightening bugs, butterflies, each other) in the back yard, and the linen closet will wait for me no matter how many times I assure it its ok to clean itself.

So what have I been doing? Well, aside from throwing up... I have been reading. For pleasure. ALot.

This is the summer in a VERY long time where I have not been looking at classes in the fall. I will not have assigned readings, I won't have anything and it is glorious.

Currently I am knee deep in a few books, all of which I would recommend:




*Wonderful recounting of personal experiences with
eating local, growing/raising your own food and the movement to eat in season.


Ines of My Soul by Isabel Allende



*The story of the life of Inés Suárez a fictional Spanish woman
who fought like a conquistador and helped to settle Chile.

And Belly Laughs by Jenny McCarthy



*Poking fun at pregnancy and its discomforts.
A little too much info at times, but it cracks me up!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a relaxing summer! Bring you cross stitch on vacation.

Anonymous said...

I love this post. I needed to read it today - I was struggling with my own long list of should-haves. Your reasoning is refreshing and reminded me that sometimes my own goals are ridiculous and unrealistic.

Molly said...

Grace,

Glad to help! I am the queen to the to do list and put a lot of pressure on myself to get things done. I am learning, ever so slowly that to do lists don't have time limits and that the work will always be there.