Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Ok so I lied...

I'm not really taking my leave of absence yet. I will be shortly but I had to share this recipe that I created last night that I LOVE. Hubby did not, so I won't be making it very often, but anyway here it is.

Turkey Chili with Cornmeal Dumplings

1 pound ground turkey
1/2 onion
1 Tbs. minced garlic
1 Tbs. olive oil
1 can pink beans (or white beans or kidney beans)
Tabasco to taste
Chili Powder
Salt and Pepper
1 can stewed tomatoes (homemade or frozen would be fine)
1 can tomato sauce (homemade or frozen would be fine)
1 1/3 cup baking mix (Bisquick, but I make my own)
2/3 cup corn meal
1 Tbs. parsley flakes
2/3 cup skim milk

In a dutch oven or a large pot with a lid, heat the oilve oil. When oil is hot add the garlic and the onion and saute until tender.

Add the turkey. Once the turkey is cooked add the beans, stewed tomatoes, tomato sauce, tabasco, and spice. Cover and simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes.

In a large bowl combine, baking mix, cornmeal, parsley, and milk. Mixture will be thick and crumbly.

When 10 minutes are up, uncover the "chili" and drop spoonfulls of cornmeal mix over top. Cook uncovered for 10 minutes. Cover and cook another 10 minutes until dumplings are dry to the touch.

Serve with shredded cheddar cheese on top and enjoy!


No comments: