I have made and used my own laundry soap (not detergent, this is NOT a detergent) on and off since 2006. I can't say I love it, but I also don't hate it and since it is much cheaper then buying the all natural, non toxic, not polluting detergents I usually buy, it is something I plan to keep up in the future.
My Laundry Soap
- 1 bar grated Dr. Bronner's Bar soap (I used the baby bar which is unscented) I have also used Fels Naptha
- 2 cups Borax
- 2 cups washing soda
- 1 cup baking soda
- 1 cups oxygen bleach (Oxyclean)
2. Grate the soap either by hand or in the food processor.
3. Mix the grated soap and the rest of the ingredients together
4. Store in an airtight container.
I use anywhere between 2 Tbs. for small or lightly soiled loads and 4Tbs. for large or heavily soiled loads.
I do not have a front loader so I can't speak to how this works in a front loader.