Friday, March 15, 2013

Homemade Laundry Soap -- 7 Days of Homemade -- Day 4

Back in the day (which was 2006 by the way, when I started blogging)... it was kind of unheard of for people to make their own laundry soap.  Only the crunchiest, tree-huggining-est people did such a thing.  Naturally, since it was new to me and most people seems to eschew it I was drown in a decided that I was going to do it too. 

I have made and used my own laundry soap (not detergent, this is NOT a detergent) on and off since 2006.  I can't say I love it, but I also don't hate it and since it is much cheaper then buying the all natural, non toxic, not polluting detergents I usually buy, it is something I plan to keep up in the future.

My Laundry Soap
  • 1 bar grated Dr. Bronner's Bar soap (I used the baby bar which is unscented) I have also used Fels Naptha
  • 2 cups Borax
  • 2 cups washing soda
  • 1 cup baking soda
  • 1 cups oxygen bleach (Oxyclean)
1..A few days before you want to make this open the wrapper ion the soap and let it dry out a little.
2.  Grate the soap either by hand or in the food processor.
3.  Mix the grated soap and the rest of the ingredients together
4.  Store in an airtight container.

I use anywhere between 2 Tbs. for small or lightly soiled loads and 4Tbs. for large or heavily soiled loads.

I do not have a front loader so I can't speak to how this works in a front loader.  


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey Molly I think this homeade deal is great! Wish I had time to make stuff- but not right now..... Can you explain what you mean re: soap vs detergent?

I take that to mean less harsh than detergent but am unsure. Making laundry soap is something I've been meaning to try for a couple years. DId make a few batches of dishwasher soap which worked ok. That stuff seems like a rip off to me and it sucks when one runs out- most stores are all at least 15 min away from here.

crafting vicariously through you for now...

Molly said...

Nicole, here is a good explanation of soap v. detergent: http://www.clearwatersoapworks.com/site/1501105/page/588981

Squeeze that baby for me!