Wednesday, July 27, 2011

My First Ice Cream Fail



I had wanted to title this post "Lisa's Ice Cream" because it was supposed to be about the wonderfully easy, Nutella ice cream that I made, that I know my friend Lisa would just go nuts over.  She is an afficianado of all things Nutella.  However, this ice cream was an epic fail... and I mean it failed so bad I didn't even take pictures.

This is the recipe that I tried, which I found on http://stickygooeycreamychewy.com

_________________________________________________________________________________

Super Simple Nutella Ice Cream
adapted from Chocolate and Zucchini

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cups (12 1/3 ounces or 350 grams) Nutella
1 1/2 cups + 1 tablespoon (14 1/2 ounces or 380 ml) evaporated milk

Directions:
1.  Pre-freeze the bowl of your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
2.  Combine the chocolate hazelnut spread and the evaporated milk in a medium mixing bowl and microwave together for 30 seconds to 1 minute.  You just want to warm them up a little to make the mixture easier to blend. With an electric mixer or hand blender, blend until the mixture is completely smooth and homogeneous.
3.  Cover and refrigerate until well chilled. Whisk again and churn in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
4.  Put in an airtight freezer-safe container and freeze until ice cream reaches your desired consistency.

_________________________________________________________________________________ 

So, I followed the above directions, but since my ice cream maker has a compressor I didn't need to do all the freezing ahead of time. I let the mix cool a little bit before I put it in the machine and then turned it on and let it run for 30-4 minutes. The mix was cold, but it was certainly NOT ice cream. It was cold Nutella, which I guess is not a bad thing, it just wasn't what I was looking for. It was super sticky, almost gluey, and incredibly hard to get out of the bowl of the ice cream maker.

I trashed the whole thing... I will keep looking... I am sure there is another nutella ice cream recipe out there somewhere...

No comments: