Wednesday, October 31, 2007

The Mad Scientist/Homemaker


Vs.


I have been on a kick to rid my home of most if not all toxic/noxious chemicals, especially cleaning products. I do the vast majority of my cleaning with Simple Green and Sun and Earth. I was having trouble though, coming up with a replacement for toilet bowl cleaner. This is probably the most noxious of all the chemicals I have in the house, but haven't ever seen a safer, more natural replacement. I got to thinking about what natural cleaning products might work and I started to think about white vinegar. "But will it work as well?" I asked myself.

So I set up an experiment to see if white vinegar would clean a toilet bowl as well as lysol toilet bowl cleaner. Two weeks ago I cleaned by upstairs toilet with white vinegar and the downstairs toilet with the lysol cleaner. I let them both get used as they normally would for a two week period (yes, this means I didn't clean my toilets for 2 weeks... please don't condemn me!). Last night I took at look at the staining/mold/mildew/crud buildup in each toilet to see if there was a difference. Low and behold the toilet cleaned with the Lysol had MORE staining/mold/mildew/crud than the toilet cleaned with vinegar.

That kinda settled it for me. As soon as the lysol toilet bowl cleaner is used up I will not be replacing it. Instead I will be using a safer, less noxious, less corrosive, CHEAPER cleaner... white vinegar,

Oh white vinegar... is there nothing you can't do?

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'll be trying that, too, as soon as I go to save alot and pick up the gallon jug of vinegar.


Mom

Kacie said...

Well, looky there! That's pretty neat. About how much vinegar would you say you used?

Molly said...

Kacie,

I think I used about a cup, maybe a little more. I poured it in the toilet, cleaned the rest of the bathroom, can back to the toilet, scrubbed a bit with a brush and then flushed.

Anonymous said...

i use white vinegar and baking soda. i put them in one at a time (don't mix them before putting the in the toilet bowl), close the lid and let 'em fiss for a while, then go back and clean them up. works great for me.

Mary said...

Thanks so much for your little experiment. I've also been wanting to get rid of all the chemicals and replace them with safer alternatives. I've heard alot about vinegar and often wondered how well it worked.

We'll definitely be using that as soon as the chemical stuff runs out. Only problem, I can't stand the smell of vinegar, so hubby will have to take on that task!

Molly said...

Passing off housework to hubby is never a bad thing! :)

Anonymous said...

I have been using Vinegar for most of my cleaning for several years now! It works great in the bathroom, kitchen...just about anywhere! I love it!