Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Homemade Laundry Soap

I know I have said countless times that I was going to make laundry soap, but yesterday I actually did it. My mom is very frugal (in a good way) and is constantly looking for ways to cut costs. She was asking me about the homemade laundry detergent and since I had all of the supplies I thought I would make her a batch. She hasn't used it yet, so I can;t comment on how well it works, but here is what I did/used:

1. Finely grated 1 bar of Fels Naptha laundry soap (I used a hand grater and the finest holes... it came out in a powder form)

2. Combine with 2 cups Washing Soda, 2 cups Borax, and 1 cup Baking Soda.

3. I put the powder in a big canning jar with a tight lid and added an scoop.

Note: I am sure the Fels Naptha works great, but it was stinging my eyes while I was grating it, so next time I might use something a little gentler like a bar of Dr. Bronner's Bar Soap, which is what Soule Mama uses when she makes her laundry soap.

No comments: