Friday, June 27, 2008

Scrub a Dub Dub

I popped over to safemama.com yesterday and discovered that the tiny beads in those exfoliating body washes are actually made of plastic which gets washed into rivers, streams, and the ocean and is then eaten by marine animals. That can't be good, plus I never thought they really exfoliated enough anyway.

So, I am offering up an alternative that is not only green, but also frugal. Homemade sugar scrub! I have tried many different variations of sugar scrubs, but this recipe is by far my favorite. This is not my recipe, but I can vouch for it. In fact, I made a huge batch and gave it to my colleagues as Christmas presents last year.

You can find the recipe here: http://laughter4daystocome.blogspot.com/2006/12/works-for-me-wednesday.html

The recipe calls for baby oil but I have used olive oil and grape seed oil and it turned out just fine.

One advantage of the sugar or salt scrub is that both sugar and salt dissolve, so there is absolutely NO chance of clogging up a drain. And no chance of your fish sticks being full of little plastic beads.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Modifying the recipe to use natural oils is a good choice. Baby oil is petroleum based and shouldn't be ingested. It also pollutes the water.

I make scrub and use inexpensive olive oil, a little fragrance like ginger or peppermint oil along with sugar, salt or both and it makes a scrub similar to one you could buy for $30 or more.

http://www.urbanfrugal.com