Friday, January 04, 2013

The Bird Seed Wreath

I have seen these bird seed ornaments and wreaths in catalogs for years and loved them, but had no idea how to make them.  Enter Pinterest, with 1001 tutorials on how to make the very wreaths I found so fascinating.  So, I thought I would try it.  Telling Nate we were making a Christmas present for the birds, I mixed and molded, using these directions.

When I unmolded it I was incredible hopeful and confident that it had worked...


until I tried to pick it up... then it became abundantly evident that it was a complete fail as it fell apart in my hands.  I don't know why it fell apart... maybe it wasn't dry enough, or maybe it was because I used different birdseed with larger particles?  Who knows.


2 comments:

Unknown said...

oh well, it looks great! Last time I made anything for the birds we dekced out some pint cones with sticky stuff and seeds and hung them in the lilacs where the stayed for years. Did you put the seed out anyway or try to reform the wreath?

Molly said...

I was having one of those days, so I threw it out. If I didn't have dogs I would have put it out on the ground, but my dogs would eat it before the birds even had a chance. I have a different set of directions that I think I am going to try.