Friday, December 09, 2011

Adding an Adjustable Waist to Jeans

Or in this case a jean skirt.  Ok, so here is the back story.  I went into Old Navy and bought a denim skirt.  A straight skirt.  I like it, but it has a tendency to stretch throughout the day so that by the time I am ready to take it off I can actually pull it off without unbuttoning or unzipping it.  Usually I just wear a belt and that solves the problem.  But, sometime I like to wear a longer shirt and wear a belt over top of it.  Of course, that belt sits mush higher than my actual waist and does nothing to hold up the skirt. 

Lots of toddler pants, especially those with out elastic waists, actually have a hidden band on elastic that can be made larger or smaller so that they fit the kid longer and you can get a custom fit.  If you have kids, you know exactly what I am talking about.  Why don't adult pants have this???  It would completely eliminate that gap in the back that jeans get and it would keep things from growing throughout the day.  So, I took a cue from Nate's wardrobe and added an adjustable wasit to the back of my denim skirt.



Supplies you will need:
2 small buttons
Scissors
Needle and thread
Button Hole elastic
Tape Measure

Step 1:  Find the center back of your skirt or pants
Step 2:  Measure out from center anywhere between 4-6 incches on either side and mark.
Step 3:  Carefully cut through 1 layer of fabric.
Step 4:  Just to the outside of your cuts, sew on your buttons.  These are what you will anchor your elastic to.
Step 5:  Thread your button hole elastic into one hole and out the other.
Step 6:  Button one side of your elastic.  Pull tight to cinch in the waist of the pants or skirt.  Once the desired chich-y-ness has been attained button the other side of your elastic.

 I know its hard to see, but the button is clear... sorry!

All done!  Custom fit waist!

No comments: