Wednesday, April 21, 2010

How to Clean Your Powder Room in 5 Minutes with One Cloth

I'll be perfectly honest... I kind of like cleaning. I mean if it was a choice between a day at the spa and cleaning, the spa would win hands down, but there is something satisfying about taking something dirty and making it clean again.

Even though I kind of like cleaning, I really don't want to spend a lot of time doing it, so here is my 5 minute method for cleaning a powder room.

1. Put toilet cleaner in the toilet. I like Seventh Generation and Method.
2. Remove trashcan, bathroom rug, hand soap etc. Best to have uncluttered surfaces.
3. Clean Mirror with a clean microfiber cloth. Vinegar and water works great for this.
4. Spray all other surfaces (including toilet) with an all purpose cleaner. I like Sun and Earth and Method, but good old Simple Green works great too.
5. Wipe all sprayed surfaces with same microfiber cloth.
6. Scrub the toilet bowl with toilet brush and flush.

[At this point all of the things (toilet, sink, mirror, etc) in your bathroom are clean, time to hit the floor]

7. Spray the floor with the same all purpose cleaner.
8. Get down on your hands and knees and wipe the floor clean (YES, I ACTUALLY DO THIS). Your other option is to take the cloth you've been using to wipe down everything else and to attach it to your swiffer and use that to clean the floor, but I find trying to maneuver the swiffer in such a small space to actually be more work, so I do it the old fashioned way.
9. Find trashcan, rug, etc, wipe clean (if applicable) and put back in the bathroom.

That's it. Doesn't take long and it really can be done with one cloth. Just remember to do the mirror first and the floor last. Also, I use all non-toxic cleaning products. If you are using traditional cleaning products make sure they are safe to combine. REMEMBER TO NEVER COMBINE CHLORINE BLEACH and AMMONIA toxic gas will result and it can kill you.

1 comment:

Jenny's Vegcafe said...

Thanks for this post. I pretty much do this system too- I work with one towel from the door handle/light switches to the floor around the toilet. I love those junky old kitchen towels.