Wednesday, December 12, 2007

I didn't want to do it...

but I had to. Today I pried both my wedding band and my engagement ring off my grossly swollen finger before someone had to cut them off.

This was no easy feat. First I googled "get ring off swollen finger" and found many strange and unusual solutions like Windex, dental floss, KY Jelly, and call 911.

I also found some suggestions that sounded probable, so I combined a couple and was able to remove my precious rings.

Step 1: Ice and elevate swollen finger. I did this for 10 minutes with my arm propped straight up in the air on the wall.

Step 2: Lube up finger. First I tried the Windex, because if you've ever seen My Big Fat Greek Wedding you will know that Windex can do anything. Well, anything except get a ring off. It didn't really work, so I tried grape seed oil which was the oil I could reach at the time.

Step 3: Twist and pull as hard as you can. This took about 10 minutes and hurt I have to tell you, but I was able to get them off finally. My finger is swollen and red, with a few burst blood vessels but my rings are safe from the jaws of life or whatever it is they use to cut jewelery off of chubby pregnant people.

Step 4: Be sad and cry a little. Ok, so I actually did cry a little about not having my rings on. I have gotten over it as it is only a temporary situation, but I do feel a little naked without them.

2 comments:

Alexandra said...

That happened with my son. Not very fashionable, but I couldn't bare to not wear my rings, so I wore them on a long chain around my neck. I remember really pulling on mine too...lots of soap before they came off!

The Proverbs Wife said...

My husband couldn't stand me not wearing my rings when I was pregnant. For some reason I had a bad reaction to the gold during my pregnancy. It caused the skin around the ring to dry really badly and crack. This was so bothersome and became a little painful. I didn't mind not wearing my ring as much as he did for obvious reasons.