Friday, December 18, 2009

Emergency Kit

So the weather forecast is calling for something like 6-12 inches of snow for tonight into tomorrow. I guess now would be a good time to get the winter emergency kit together for my car. I was a Girl Scout and I like to be prepared.

I take a canvas L.L.Bean tote and stock it with:

  • An extra pair of gloves
  • A winter hat
  • A pair of warm/thick socks
  • A pair of hiking boots
  • An extra blanket (I keep one blanket in the car all the time)
  • A ziplock bag with some diapers/wipes/hand sanitizer
  • Cheerios and a bottle of water
In addition, I keep in the back of my car a fold-up shovel and a large ice scraper/brush.

I always have a traditional first aid kit and an all purpose emergency kit in the car at all times.

What's in your winter car kit? And have you ever had to use it?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great idea! I do keep a couple of roll-up blankets in my van but typically nothing else besides an ice scraper. I keep wipes and kleenexes in there all of the time so they are always there. Here in Oklahoma we typically don't get much snow, but an emergency kit is still a great idea!