Thursday, November 06, 2008

Wet Bags


Nate is 9 months old now and we are still breastfeeding. I beleive in this... I REALLY believe in this and do not plan on weaning him until he is a year old. Since I work, this means that I do a lot of pumping and transporting of milk.

Every day when I go to work, I pack up pump pieces and containers to collect and store milk in. Everyday I come home from work with said paraphanalia in a plastic bag that needs to be washed. When I pick Nate up from my mom's house I get a plastic ziplock bag full of used spoons, bottles, bowls, milk containers, etc. This is leading to a lot of plastic bags. of course, I wash them and reuse them, but eventually they get holes in them and start to leak and then they have to go in to the trash... and then in to a landfill... and then 50 million years later they are still there. Oh my! There had to be a better way.

It dawned on me the other day that a wet bag (the kind used for cloth diapers) would be perfect. Not only would they keep the wet/dirty bottles, pump pieces, milk containers, spoons, etc contained, they can be machine washed and reused a bazillion times. When Nate is off bottles and I am no longer pumping at work they can be tucked into the diaper bag for soiled clothes. GREAT!

So I looked around a decided to get two medium Planet Wise wet bags because they come in really cute fabrics, they had a zipper not a draw string, and were made in the USA. I bought mine from Cotton Babies because I liked their color selection.

They came yesterday and I put them to use this morning. They are great! No leaks so far, and my office looks that much nicer having a fabric bag sitting on the cradenza next to my pump bag then the ratty plastic bag that was there before.

I am loving them!

No comments: