Friday, January 13, 2012

The Winter Classic

On January 2, 2012, hubby and I went to the Winter Classic.  If you don't know, the Winter Classic is an outdoor NHL game held once a season in a different city.  This year, it was held in Philadelphia and features the Flyers v. the New York Rangers (BOOOOO!). 

I was a little apprehensive about going, not because I don;t like hockey, because I do, but because it was outside, in Philadelphia, in January... and I wasn't looking forward to freezing my patootie off!  Hubby is a seasoned vet when it comes to attending outside winter sporting events, so I followed his lead and layered up.  5 layers to be precise... and it actually wasn't that bad.  I did lose feeling in my feet, but that was only after the end of the second period and by that time we had been outside for 4 hours already.

Here is a self portrait before we left the house... Only 2 layers on at this point.


And here is one from the game itself.  All 5 layers in place with the silly hat added on.


 And finally, the view from out seats.



The game was supposed to start at 1:00 but the start time got pushed back to 3:00 for better ice conditions.  This meant that it started to get dark while the game was still going on.  And then, as if seeing NHL hockey played outside wasn't exciting enough, it started to snow.  It was actually pretty magical.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love the hat!!!!!

Anonymous said...

I must say I'm extremely jealous. We are big hockey fans here in our OKC family. I was rooting for the Flyers to win too. We watched a bit of it on TV. We get to go to AHL games here now that we have a team - Edmonton Oilers farm team - OKC Barons. Thanks for sharing this!