Monday, November 18, 2013

Thinking About Thanksgiving Dinner

Thanksgiving is, hands down, my favorite holiday.  It completely gets over shadowed by Halloween and Christmas, but it is still my favorite.

I have been hosting Thanksgiving dinner for 2 years now, this will be the third, and I take pride in the fact that everything is made from scratch.  This year, however is going to be a little different.  For one thing, not only is it Thanks giving, but it is also the first night of Hanukkah, and my birthday.  Something different had to be done, this was no ordinary holiday... this was the holiday trifecta! 

Since it is the holiday trifecta I started joking with my husband that I was going to just order the whole dinner from Whole Foods as a birthday present to myself.  The more I said it however, the better the idea sounded, until he finally said, just order it and I'll pay for it!

Done and done!  With a few modifications...

We will have:

A roasted Turducken (ordered online, cooked by me)
A smoked turkey (fresh from Whole Foods, smoked by Jon)
Mashed potatoes (Whole Foods)
Mashed sweet potatoes (Whole Foods)
Glazed carrots with candied pecans (Whole Foods)
Roasted green beans with shallots (Whole Foods)
Biscuits (Baked by me)
Gravy (Cooked by me)
Potato latkas  (Cooked by me)
Jellied cranberry sauce (From the can)
Whole berry cranberry sauce (From the can)
Creamed onions (Frozen)

More cooking than I had originally anticipated but that's ok... Still less work and cleanup than previous years.

No comments: